Infrabel wanted to further develop its organization from maintenance management towards asset management. A professionalization initiative with ISO 55000 as its basis. The Smarter-M program was created to help the organization achieve this mission. The objective of this program was to review the maintenance processes and to implement SAPPM to replace a variety of home-made IT tools with a single common EAM tool. Infrabel approached Mainnovation for support during this transition.
Work began on elaborating the Infrabel Asset Management Model, which is based on Mainnovation’s VDM Model supplemented by UIC (International Union of Railways) input. This model served as the framework for
defining various optimization projects related to the maintenance processes.
In addition, Mainnovation contributed to many EAM configuration issues and EAM sub-projects:
• Advice for creating a uniform asset structure for all technical specialties.
• Support for the data migration, cleaning and cleansing for the pilot districts.
• The supply of a SAP Architect to help make the strategic choices required to configure SAP EAM for the Signaling Devices department.
• The development of a strategy for mobile EAM applications.
• The development of a uniform long-term investment approach for the various technical specialties.
Mainnovation’s Added Value
During the professionalization, Infrabel made use of Mainnovation’s VDM Model for its asset management. This helped accelerate the improvement project by integrating industry best practices. For example, in creating the asset structure and configuring SAP EAM. In addition, the project progressed quickly by making use of the Mainnovation Process Map for infrastructure enterprises.
The use of these two components together form part of the ‘Expert Approach’ for configuring SAP EAM.
The project won the IPMA (International Project Management Award) in the public sector.
Mainnovation contributed an Asset Management strategy based on best practice asset management and VDM2.0 applications.
This project approach has made NedTrain one of the best performing Maintenance & Asset Management organizations